Complete Wildlife Control LLC
PO Box 94
Bondurant, IA 50035-0094
|Yard destroyed by raccoons searching for grubs
|Entrance that a raccoon made in house
(West Des Moines, Iowa)
|How to control raccoons in Iowa
|Raccoon causes carbon monoxide fatality in East Sandwich
By Ira Kantor | Tuesday, December 23, 2008 | http://www.bostonherald.
A 62-year-old East Sandwich man was found dead of carbon monoxide
poisoning in his home Sunday morning after a raccoon crawled into his
chimney flue and blocked it, police and fire officials said.
“He was of such a size that it was a complete blockage of the products
of combustion from the gas appliance,” said Sandwich Deputy Fire
Chief Tom Corriveau. “So there was nowhere for them to go but back
into the residence.”
The victim was identified as John Van Nostrand by the Cape & Islands
District Attorney’s Office. Fire officials said Van Nostrand did not have
any smoke or carbon monoxide detectors in his home.
“We’re trying to get the word out to get carbon monoxide detectors and
make sure they’re operating properly because the craziest things can
happen that you would never think of,” Corriveau said.
Marion Larson, a biologist for MassWildlife, said that while it is
common for animals like raccoons and squirrels to seek refuge in
chimneys for warmth or protection from predators, homeowners should
take better measures to prevent instances like these.
“That’s unfortunately the extreme reason why you should be capping
your chimneys,” Larson said. “Those openings are very attractive for